Sunday 19 May 2013

Dedication

I suppose it is evident from the name who this blog is dedicated to: Benedict Cumberbatch, actor extraordinaire, a beautiful man with a beautiful name and a beautiful voice. He is ethereal. He is sublime. He is, for the lack of a better word, magnificent.
No wonder there are innumerable pages, stories, poems, songs, art, websites (the above image is from Sherlockology - an excellent site, and one of my favourites) and all that jazz dedicated to him (I'll readily confess to following quite a few of them myself). He has a screen presence very, very few can claim...and talent that just blows your mind. From Hawking to Khan - there seems nothing this man cannot do, no role he cannot play to perfection, no character he cannot mould himself into.
And then there's Sherlock. The first time I saw "A Study in Pink", I was blown away. Here was a man, after eons, who was as spectacular, as legendary, as the original Sherlock Holmes.
I know there are many, far more dedicated fans of this fantastic actor - but well, what's one more dedication to one who deserves it all?
Posts will mostly be about Sherlock - or Sherlock Holmes related stuff, with a fair bit of Star Trek's Khan thrown in, as these are my favourites and I think Benedict Cumberbatch has done the best portrayals of these characters that I've ever seen. I may sometimes write about Luke Fitzwilliam (from "Murder is Easy") or William Carey (from "The Other Boleyn Girl") or Christopher Tietjens (from "Parade's End") or Peter Guillam (from "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy") or his other roles that I like. There are certainly more than enough to choose from at any given point of time.
I will sometimes refer to (maybe intentionally, maybe inadvertently) the man as 'Sir Benedict' - because I think it is high time he's knighted. As I read somewhere last evening, he's an international treasure.
I will try and make out a sort of timeline - but that'll require time and research, so I can't, at the moment, say exactly when I'll be able to put it up. But with Lynette Porter's book coming up, maybe I won't really need to.
I can't promise that I'll post daily or that I'll have an up-to-date news account of this magnificent person. I don't really have the kind of single-minded focus you need to stalk one person. So yes, he is my favourite actor, and yes, I endeavour to view all his works, but I don't even know if I'll ever get to see him in person or get a real autograph. Very honestly, with my flickering attention-span and limited life expectancy, I am not even sure how long this blog will remain online. Of course, if I do manage to meet him and speak to him, I'd die happy. Most people would, I suppose.
In any case, que sera sera. Till I can, my inane natterings will be kept here.

No comments:

Post a Comment