Tuesday 21 May 2013

In Transition

Benedict Cumberbatch, In Transition: An Unauthorised Performance Biography - by Lynnette Porter is due to be released soon. The cover is out - and it looks intriguing. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!
I looked him up on Cumberbatchweb last evening. Is this man for real? How could he have done so much and still be in his thirties? I'm impressed, to say the least.
Here's the cover:
Benedict Cumberbatch has the kind of presence on reel, pictures - well, any media that I have come across (was listening to his Angel Islington the other day from "Neverwhere" - by God, he is brilliant) - that is quite rare and which most actors would kill to possess. The audience is immediately drawn to him, regardless of whether he is the hero or the villain. All I am hearing about the new Star Trek: Into Darkness is how cool Khan is. Someone eclipsing Spock? Unthinkable in the past - but when Khan is played by Benedict Cumberbatch - what do you expect? Of course it becomes all about Khan. He is so self-righteous, so passionate, so magnificent, you actually cry with him for his family. "Towering presence of evil", he's been called. I'd say magnetic. Compelling.
This man is amazing. Extraordinary. He brings out every character he plays to perfection - so much so, that after him, so cannot imagine anyone else in that role. (Yes, even when it is the despicable Paul Malcolm of "Atonement" or the forgettable - except that he wasn't - William Carey of "The Other Boleyn Girl".)
In comparison, I'm coming to realise how fantastic Martin Freeman is, to be able to hold his own with this force of nature. He's the perfect John Watson for this perfect Sherlock. I am looking forward to the next Hobbit movie - "An Unexpected Journey" was a bit disappointing - you hardly got to see Smaug the dragon or the Necromancer. Freeman is a lovely hobbit, though. (While I've ranted enough at Peter Jackson for delaying Sherlock because of the Hobbit series, I did like it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment